EAST LANSING, Mich. — Pursuant to Executive Orders 2020-175 and 2020-176 from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, the East Lansing Department of Parks, Recreation and Arts (ELPRA) has announced its preliminary plan to partially re-open the East Lansing Hannah Community Center (ELHCC), 819 Abbot Road.
The preliminary re-opening plan includes three phases and was developed with the safety of staff and community members in mind. Additional phases of re-opening are expected to be implemented later, pursuant to the guidance and orders of public health and government officials.
Upon re-opening, patrons will be required to participate in a health screening at the front desk (including having their temperature taken) and wear a face covering inside the facility at all times, with limited exceptions. Face coverings will not be required when swimming or in the locker room showers. Additional information:
Beginning Monday, Sept. 21:
- The fitness center and gymnasiums will re-open during this phase. The gymnasiums will only be used for activities where physical distancing can be achieved. Drop-in basketball, pickleball and other competitive sports will not be permitted until a future phase of re-opening. In order to meet occupancy requirements, patrons are asked to make reservations in advance for the fitness center by calling (517) 333-2580 ext. 0. Drop-in use of the fitness center will only be accommodated as space allows.
- Patrons can visit ELHCC’s Facebook page or website to learn more about online and in-person (outdoor and indoor) fitness classes that are currently being offered: https://www.cityofeastlansing.com/1182/Classes-Programs or https://www.facebook.com/elhcc.
- The primary use of the ELHCC during this phase will be for remote learning programs for elementary school age children. Learn more by calling (517) 319-6979.
Beginning Monday, Sept. 28:
- The swimming pool and locker/shower facilities will re-open during this phase with limited occupancy. In order to meet occupancy requirements, patrons will need to make reservations in advance by calling (517) 333-2580 ext. 0. Swim classes will also begin during this phase (for both ELPRA and East Lansing Prime Time). While most pool users will be required to enter ELHCC through the main entrance, accommodations will be made to provide health screenings at the southeast (canopy) entrance for Prime Time classes.
- East Lansing Prime Time offices will re-open to the public during this phase. Call (517) 337-1731 for additional information.
Beginning Monday, Nov. 2:
- Classroom reservations (for community groups, organizations, etc.) will begin during this phase.
The ELHCC’s initial hours of operation will be Monday-Friday from 6 a.m.-7 p.m., Saturdays from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. and Sundays from 12-6 p.m. The swimming pool hours will differ from ELHCC’s hours and will be posted soon on the City’s website: https://www.cityofeastlansing.com/825/Building-Hours.
The ELHCC preliminary re-opening plan may be revised and current target dates are subject to change. Community members with questions can contact the ELHCC at (517) 333-2580 ext. 0.