EAST LANSING, Mich. — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s new “Stay Home, Stay Safe” Executive Order clarifies that yard waste collection is an essential service, and, with that in mind, the City of East Lansing’s spring yard waste collection will begin next week.
Spring yard waste collection will be offered as follows:
- No-fee yard waste collection will be offered on Monday, April 20 on the City’s east side (homes located east of Abbot Road to the City limits at Park Lake Road).
- No-fee yard waste collection will be offered on Monday, April 27 on the City’s west side (homes located west of Abbot Road to the City limits at Coolidge and West roads).
- While residents are asked to have their yard waste at the curb by no later than 7:30 a.m. on the Monday of their collection week to ensure collection, it should be noted that collection may take several days due to limited staffing. The community’s patience is appreciated.
On no-fee collection days, the use of City yard waste stickers and bags is not necessary, but all other yard waste guidelines do apply:
- Yard waste includes leaves, plant material, grass clippings and brush/limbs.
- Yard waste may be placed at the curb no earlier than 8 p.m. the day before collection and no later than 7:30 a.m. the day of collection.
- Yard waste must be contained within a paper yard waste bag or rigid, 32-gallon plastic container.
- Bags and rigid, 32-gallon plastic containers must weigh no more than 40 pounds and bags should be stored in a dry location prior to being placed at the curb.
- Brush/limbs can also be bundled with string/twine. Bundles may not be more than 4 feet long and 1 foot in diameter. Individual limbs must be 4 inches in diameter or less and bundles must not weigh more than 40 pounds.
If East Lansing City Hall and the East Lansing Department of Public Works re-open to the public on Friday, May 1, regular yard waste collection (requiring City bags/stickers and advanced registration) will tentatively resume on Monday, May 4. If these City buildings do not re-open to the public on Friday, May 1, regular yard waste collection will continue to be temporarily suspended until the buildings re-open in order to facilitate the sale of yard waste bags and stickers. Regardless of the status of the buildings, an additional City-wide no-fee yard waste collection day will be offered as regularly scheduled on Monday, May 18.
Community members with questions can call the East Lansing Department of Public Works at (517) 337-9459. Staff is currently available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-3 p.m.