Why East Lansing?
East Lansing exceeds expectations for a community of its size. In East Lansing, residents and visitors will find culture, talent and innovation paired with diversity, affordability and quality services. East Lansing features a strong and stable economy that is supported by one of the biggest and best research universities in the world and is located down the street from the State Capitol. In addition East Lansing offers beautiful neighborhoods, excellent schools and outstanding recreational amenities with a strong entrepreneurial spirit.
Proximity to Michigan State University
Businesses benefit tremendously from being located in close proximity to Michigan State University (MSU). More than 49,000 undergraduates and graduates attend MSU each year and more than 10,000 students receive their bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral or professional degree each year. There are more than 11,000 employees that make up MSU’s faculty and staff. MSU is ranked 28th among the nation’s public universities by U.S. News & World Report and MSU has been recognized for 11 consecutive years as one of the top 100 universities in the world by Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s Institute of Higher Education.
Proximity to Michigan's Capital City
Located directly adjacent to Lansing, known as the Capitol City, is also beneficial to East Lansing businesses. Lansing has a proud history of innovation and a strong manufacturing sector. It also is home to two excellent hospitals and Lansing Community College, with approximately 20,000 students. Downtown Lansing is anchored by the Capitol building and numerous State agencies with more than 14,000 employees. Lansing also offers numerous amenities including an outstanding river trail and a well-loved minor-league baseball team.
East Lansing is conveniently situated in the middle of the state and is within 90 miles of 90% of Michigan’s population. It is a vital part of the Greater Lansing region, which includes communities such as Lansing, Lansing Township, Delta Township, Meridian Township and many others. East Lansing has easy access to three major interstate expressways. Chicago is only 220 miles away and can be accessed with convenient daily Amtrak service.
Living in Downtown East Lansing (VIDEO)
Downtown East Lansing is a great place to live, work and play. Learn what residents have to say about urban life in the heart of East Lansing.
Top 10 Reasons to Start a Business in East Lansing
- Named One of 10 Best College Towns to Start a Business by Entrepreneur Magazine
- Recognized annually for our efforts in fostering entrepreneurship and encouraging economic development by researchers at the University of Michigan-Dearborn’s Center for Innovation Research (iLabs)
- Lansing Community Named One of Nation's Top Ten Best Cities For Young Adults by Kiplinger
- Extensive Community Support for Local Businesses
- Proud Home of Michigan State University, one of the nation's best public universities
- Vibrant Downtown and a Diversified Customer Base
- Centrally Located in Capitol region, State and Access to 10,000 College Graduates Annually
- The East Lansing Technology Innovation Center and a Strong Regional Entrepreneurial Network (Ignite, TEDXLansing, Grand River Connection, Launched, The Hatching, etc.)
- Strong, walkable neighborhoods, quality schools and short commutes
- Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum, the MSU’s new contemporary art museum, is strengthening our creative economy in the city and region