Filing a Housing Discrimination Complaint

Federal and state law prohibits housing discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin in the sale, rental or advertising of dwellings, in the provision of brokerage services, or in the availability of residential real estate-related transactions.

Who to File a Complaint With

If you believe your civil rights have been violated, you can contact the following organizations.

  • Human Relations Commission - If you believe your rights have been violated, contact the City of East Lansing Human Relations Commission (HRC) at (517) 319-6893 or by email. The HRC reviews discrimination cases in East Lansing by gathering information about violations and attempting to resolve the situation if a case of discrimination is established.
  • Michigan Department of Civil Rights - Persons can file a complaint with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Contact may be made by telephone, in person, by U.S. mail or by email.
  • U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development - Persons can file a complaint if you believe your rights have been violated while trying to buy/rent a home or apartment. File your complaint online with Housing and Urban Development, call the toll free number 800-669-9777, or write a letter to Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, Department of Housing and Urban Development Rm. 5204, 451 Seventh St. SW, Washington, DC 20410.
  • Fair Housing Center of Southeast & Mid Michigan - Persons can file a complaint with the FHC by telephone 877-979-3247 or by email The Fair Housing Center provides confidential investigations, testing, advocacy, and resolution services. For more info, visit

Information to Provide with Complaint

  • name and address
  • name and address of the person your complaint is about
  • address of the house or apartment you were trying to rent or buy
  • date when incident occurred
  • a short description of what happened