- Downtown East Lansing
- Downtown Links
- Downtown Materials & Waste Management
Downtown Materials & Waste Management Program
To make the best use of limited storage capacity, provide centralized waste disposal services and maintain a clean downtown, the East Lansing Downtown Development Authority finances the operations for the Downtown Materials & Waste Management Program (DMWM Program). Through the DMWM Program, the DDA operates five City-owned materials and waste management rooms in each of the 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 block alleys. View Map (PDF).
The rooms provide space to store multiple four-cubic-yard waste and recycling containers. Adjacent businesses, residents and other types of tenants can choose to participate in the DMWM Program. Participants of the DMWM Program are provided electronic key fobs to access the rooms and dispose of their waste and recycling materials in the containers. The containers are serviced by a third party waste hauler.
To set up or close your DMWM account, contact email@example.com or call (517) 319-6930.
Monthly invoices are mailed on the first of the month. Key fobs will deactivate for accounts with an outstanding balance of 15 days. Payments can be made by mail, phone, in person or online.
City of East Lansing
410 Abbot Road
East Lansing, MI 48823
Phone: (517) 337-1731
Lost Key Fob
Key fob replacement is $25 and must be paid in full prior to issuance. Payments can be made by cash, check or credit card with the Finance Department on the first floor of East Lansing City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.
Refuse Room Usage
- All waste and recycling materials must be placed in the containers.
- Do not prop open the door to the refuse room.
- Sharing or loaning of the key fob to other users is prohibited.
- No grease, construction material, wood pallets, hazardous materials, appliances, furniture or bulk items are allowed in the refuse room.
- Contaminating cardboard recycling will result in a $75 fine.
Download the Refuse Room Agreement (PDF)
Refuse Room Schedule
- Waste pickup occurs Monday-Saturday
- Cardboard recycling pickup is Monday, Tuesday and Thursday-Saturday
- Sweeping or powerwashing occurs every Wednesday on a 5-week rotation (1 room per week)