- Departments & Divisions
- Community Events
- Crystal Awards
- Selection Criteria
OverviewThe Crystal Awards honor individuals, businesses, organizations community groups that have made an outstanding contribution to community life in East Lansing. Crystal Award recipients are dedicated to enhancing the East Lansing community. They demonstrate a passion and commitment to creating a healthy and vibrant community and serve as an inspiration to others.
Guiding Selection CriteriaAwards may be be given in the following four categories:
Awarded to East Lansing community members, organizations or community groups that meet some of the attributes and ideals listed below.
Awarded to East Lansing businesses that meet some of the attributes and ideals listed below.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (NEW!)
Awarded to East Lansing community members, businesses, organizations and community groups that have gone above and beyond to make East Lansing an amazing place to live, work and do business by championing equity work, uplifting disadvantaged members of the population and striving to transform East Lansing into a welcoming place for all.
- Spirit of East Lansing (NEW!)
Awarded to individuals or groups/organizations that reside outside of East Lansing, but have contributed significant amounts of time and care to East Lansing and fulfill all or most of the attributes and ideals listed below. Only one Spirit of East Lansing Award will be considered each year. If a fitting candidate is not nominated, an award in this category will not be considered.
- dedicates a significant amount of volunteer time to projects/programs
- demonstrates a passion and commitment to creating a healthy and vibrant community in East Lansing
- diversifies the economic base of East Lansing
- enhances the character and vision of the community
- exemplifies exceptional commitment, service, creativity, cooperation, innovation or leadership
- exemplifies the spirit of a good citizen or business
- goes above and beyond the scope of their role to enhance and/or support East Lansing
- has initiated a new service or program in East Lansing
- inspires others to engage in community service
- makes a significant contribution to a project, program or ongoing activity that has impacted the quality of life in East Lansing
- provides leadership and/or opportunities for collaboration
- serves as a role model
- serves a vital role that is not otherwise fulfilled in the community
- Current city employees are not eligible.
- Previous Crystal Awards winners are not eligible.
- East Lansing City Councilmembers should refrain from nominating.
- Self nominations will not be considered.